Providing access to professional financial planning services to anyone, regardless of income.
Our vision is to give everyone equal access to financial understanding, which turns into financial peace, then financial stability, then financial power. We want to give access to the world of comprehensive financial planning, which, up to this point, has only been available to those who have the money to pay for it.
Blake Pokley, CFP®
Although it may be seen as a hindrance to some, Blake’s youth has given him the ability to see the financial planning industry with fresh eyes; he sees vast potential for the knowledge, understanding, and education it has to offer, but he has seen how selfishness and greed have corrupted this potential. Blake has proven he is able to learn quickly and relay his knowledge to others in an understandable and applicable way.
It may be confusing to some that Blake would conduct these services for free, which is valid. It is his recognition that his time, abilities, and money are not his, but God’s. The work God has done in Blake’s heart encourages him to lay down his life to serve others.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Captain offers free professional financial planning and education services.
No, Captain is a branch under a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit entity called “Abide Ministries“.
In creating Captain, I am looking to (help) solve the following problems that are currently rampant in the industry:
1. Excessive AUM fees, commissions, and expense ratios charged for financial investments and/or services
2. The financially rich being legally (and illegally) taken advantage of
3. The financially poor being ignored and taken advantage of
I think the easiest way to answer this would be to point out the differences:
Most financial advisors
1. Expertise: Registered, but no credentials
2. Offerings: Only focus on investments and insurance (the areas that can be charged for)
3. Cost: Normally charge in one or more of the following ways:
– annual fee of 1% of AUM (billed quarterly)
– $200 – $400 hourly rate
– $2,000 – $7,500 annual retainer fee
A few reasons:
1. The main reason is my relationship with God through Jesus, which makes me want to help others however I can.
2. Most CFP® Professionals will not work with people who cannot pay at least $1,000 per year (usually much more), which leaves out the majority of Americans.
3. Doing this work for free allows me to work in the best interest of the client with no other motives.
4. I have a vision for this to help revolutionize the financial services industry.
5. I enjoy it and I am good at it.
On the side, I tutor (Series 65 and CFP®) and I take care of the QuickBooks accounting for small businesses. I also keep my expenses as low as I can.
Captain is overseen by a group of high-character, community-focused professionals.
Impact Sports Services
Having been a professional basketball player and a financial advisor who grew up in Pontiac, Michigan, Paul has an uncommon life experience that gives him a unique and valuable perspective. Paul founded Impact Sports Services to help athletes thrive in and out of their sport.
Warren & Judith Marshall
Advocates of lifelong learning, Warren and Judith intentionally pursue the diversely creative and intentional lives the Bible says is possible (but never could quite figure out before). The current highlight of their eclectic grouping of entrepreneurial ventures is living on mission teaching everything they learn to as many people as possible as life coaches at Prolific Journey.